Tuesday 12 July 2016

Row by Row Road Trip...where am I headed?

Thursday morning last week I departed on a Row by Row Road trip.   The slowest part of my commute was going up Stewartson Way hill about a kilometer to the Queensborough Bridge.  That km. took almost 15 minutes.  Why, because the Pattulo Bridge is being resurfaced and is only one lane each way during the day and closed for the night until about 5 a.m.!  Crossing over the border only took about 5 minutes in comparison.

After a quick coffee pick up in Bellingham and fueling up in Smokey Point I drove straight through to Chehalis and Sister's fabrics for my first stop and found this cute bunny row.  Then back on the road to Vancouver Washington.

Then I stopped at Fiddlesticks Quilt shop where they have designed their row to be either vertical...
 Or horizontal, nice option.  They have several license plate and I got one along with a pin.
 They kindly let me take some pictures in this gorgeous shop.  Wish it was in Vancouver B.C.
 The shop is divided into room with lovely displays through out.
 Is this not a lovely piece, I love the pointed scallop corners that are appliqued onto the background.  The quilt is actually squared off.
 The puffin, sunflower and rooster are all by a local designer.  Ann Shaw is her name, they have a link to her patterns on their webpage.
A view from their cash desk towards the front door.  They have a long arm adjacent to this area.
 That was loaded with this quilt they have kitted.
 Lovely displays of fabrics and quilts.
 Another of the Sally quilts was the heron.  The Gypsy Wife quilt hanging beside in their classroom.

 Next I went to Just for Fun Quilt Shop and they had this cute sign post row showing where your home might be.
Here is a closer look at that cute hangar.

 It's a fairly small shop but has some lovely things in it.
 After a brief stop at Fabric Depot in Portland I forgot the row and no pictures I headed down to Pioneer Quilts and they also have a vertical row.  This evergreen is lovely and all done in wool.  I was tempted to get the kit but said no.
 They have lovely displays through out the heritage building and have a separate sale room and classroom where I didn't take pictures.

I have this Santa Sampler from Bonnie Sullivan are these guys not dapper?
 Beside them were these Snowmen all ready to greet the day.
 Her sister Kathy Schmitz Bertie's Spring display.  They have some lovely wool fabrics for sale.
 Some of the batiks they offer along with reproduction fabrics and other popular lines.
 It was starting to rain but such an inviting place to rest before heading to the next shop.
 In the breezeway between the shop and classroom sale area.
Love this table topper.
 Next stop was Greenbaum's Quilted Forest.  This business has been owned by the same family for 116 years in various themes.
 It was the first Portland Quilt shop I ever went to on my first bus trip to a quilt shop.  Are these teacups too cute!
 My favourite colour is turquoise and this sets the quilts off so nicely.
 Great colours abound in the shop.  Classroom through that door on the right.
 This is the back of the quilt with a label for sale!
 Here is the front.  All those vintage teardrop trailers.
 Green and whites in a different layout.
 Some modern quilts and the friendship star.
 This was a challenge quilt for where is your neighbourhood.  It represents the front facade of the shop.  I'll share a picture of the actual building shortly.  Is it not great!
 Love this flower quilt done with raw edges and some fun machine quilting.
 Quilt Improv.
 Another whimsical traile.
 Love this one I think it is Old Blue.
 Lime green and turquoise from another angle.
 Meet Sylvia after a very long day and several bus tours of quilters.  Wish her well and drop in soon to say good bye.  After 116 years of being in the family business she is closing the doors of this historic store.  It was so nice to meet you Sylvia and find out you were the owner of this favourite shop of mine.  You and it will be missed by many of us.  Enjoy your retirement and find some new adventures.
 Here is the outside of the building, it was raining and traffic coming so I couldn't get the whole building in the picture.
 Now for a stash report.  I forgot to take a picture of Greenbaum's Quilted Forest's row but it is a building set in the trees.  The jelly roll is grunge fabrics for an upcoming swap.  Put A Quilt On It is their license plate.
 From Pioneer Quilts I got this lovely orange wool and the crow fabric along with their tree pattern.
 From Fiddlesticks I got a turquoise polkadot fabric, Green Tea and Sweet Beans pattern booklet, the row pattern, their license and a small pin.
 Just for Fun Quilting their signpost.
 From Sister's Fabrics some lovely grey wool, a piece of Kaffe Fasset folded fans and a fun black and white fabric plus their row pattern.
 At Fabric Depot I found this great black and white linear with circle print, some stones, music fabric the pink mess and that lovely orange Art Gallery print.
 I also got these orange peels to wrap around your thread spools to keep them tidy.  I was gifted with two and decided to get a packet for my take along projects.
 Hope you enjoyed day one of the road trip.  More to come in the next few days.

7 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

Gosh you have a lot of quilt shops around you. What fun! It's wonderful to see all the variety in the row by row blocks.

paulette said...

Love your loot! Favourtie quilt...the Blackbird Christmas Quilt from their book "When the Cold Wind Blows"! It just got moved to the top of the list! :O))

WoolenSails said...

You really visited a lot of wonderful shops and i enjoyed seeing them and the quilts.
Looks like you will be busy with all the new projects and fabrics. I do have the snowmen pattern by Bonnie, another on my to do list.

Debbie

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness! If I had been with you, I'd have been so overwhelmed! Such great shops and all that eye candy!

Lesley said...

What a wonderful post! Loved seeing those beautiful shops with all the gorgeous quilts and more. Thanks for sharing!

Susan said...

Loved reading this and seeing all the pictures. How sad that shop is closing! It's so terrific. I really liked the green and white quilt. I found it very appealing. The rows you picked up are wonderful, and I'm so jealous. =) The corners and curvy border on that one quilt really ARE amazing. Very attractive. And Sally is very talented! Thank you so much for sharing your quilt shop adventure!

The little book of Nessie said...

You have had a wonderful time visiting all the quilt shops. Lovely fabric you have bought on the way. Regards, Nessie