Sunday 20 November 2016

Putting the Layers Together...

After a several month break from working on my Bird Dance Blocks I decided to return to them after finishing my Sue Spargo needlecase.  First I added the cotton appliques and then start with the background stitching.  I reversed the shape of the crescent moon.
 Block number 20 cotton and background stitching done.
 Block 21 ready for the wool applique.
 I then stitch down all the wool applique with Aurifil Lana Wool, I don't like using fusibles on wool
 Love how they are starting to look.
 This is block 19 of 30.
 I then added the cotton layers and then finally the embellished stitches.
 Bullion knots for legs and feet and along the chest and whipped woven circles.
 Long Drizzle stitches for the head piece and woven picots for the beak.  The bird is outlined with the Scroll stitch.
 I like how he looks back at the Crescent moon.
 Number 20 with all the applique and embellishment stitching.
 Longer Picot beak and Drizzle stitches for the head top knot. Eyelet stitches on the circles and outline stitch around the bird and head applique.
 Pretty leaf background design.
 Closer look at the Eyelet stitch circles.
 Bird number 21.
 Long Bullion Loops for the top knot and woven backstitch around the bird.  Along the wing I left some of the woven threads a bit longer to look like feathers being fluffed up.
 Drizzle Stitches along the tail and Bullion Roses.
 My first Bullion Roses, very please how they worked up.
 My Instagram collage I shared.  If you want to check out my instagram feed click here. My screen name is shhdesigns1
Time to start on Birds 22-24.  I'm two thirds done.  Thirty in all and then the borders.

10 comments:

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness, I'm quite smitten with these birds! XO

The little book of Nessie said...

It is looking good! Regards, Nessie

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I have never tried one of her designs, but it is on my bucket list. Great job!

WoolenSails said...

Love the block and that is a beautiful quilt to work on.

Debbie

paulette said...

It was fun watching this little guy take flight!!

Susan said...

These look great! I've missed them, though I don't want you to finish and then there won't be any more. LOL I love bird 20 the best.

Anna said...

I really enjoy seeing your chosen stitches...you really have that design element down!

Kyle said...

Awesome embroidery.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I have a friend that has been trying to motivate herself to get back to her birds also. They are so fun with all those stitches--love how yours are coming along!

Rachaeldaisy said...

These are such wonderful blocks. You'll have fun adding your beautiful stitches.