Thursday 16 February 2017

Journaling, Fibre Arts Network and Valentines Top

Back in 2001 I decided I would try and journal about my quilting experiences.  
 I wrote down in January what goals I hoped to keep in this book and until June 2013 I managed to do this monthly making notes of what classes I took, new techniques.  Travels I took that involved quilting, new quilting friends etc.
 On January 31 I found the journal again and decided to start it again.  My friend Anna from Woolie Mammoth shared her keeping goals on a white board and recently decided to also keep a journal.  But she is thinking of doing it more on a daily basis, I'm doing it monthly but with occasional new entries.
 I shared that while at Lorna's I saw some friends and later that evening one called to say they had gone to the Fibre Art Network show at Van Dusen Garden.  Rita and I had forgotten about it and had headed down to Granville Island instead.  So Sunday I decided it would be a nice outing to take my mom to see.  Ironically we ran into Lorna and her mom; they had just finished seeing it.  Here are some overview pictures of the show.
 The FAN is a group of west coast Canadian and American quilt artist and youcan visit their website here for more information about their journey and many shows.
 Last year the garden had a show in March featuring some of our Fraser Valley Quilters' Guild members here.
 Several of those artist and some more I recognized from the lower mainland participated this time.
 All the pieces were the same size in either the portrait or landscape orientation.
 This is a free exhibit found in a gallery adjacent to where you enter to view the gardens.
 We were still in the midst of our heavy snow and viewing the garden was not a great choice on that day.
 There were some spectacular pieces hung for viewing.
 Some photographic in their style and others more representative.
 Some were dimensional and other visually textural.



 This piece was done by Robin Fischer a member of my guild.
 Terry Aske.
 Janet Archibald.
 Former member Patt Wilson
Leslie Forbes from Lion's Gate Quilters.
 Mardel Rempell another former member and part of the 100 Braid St. New Westminster Cultural Crawl show I attended.
 Unfortunately I don't recall many of the names and I had hoped that the signage would be more legible.
 Marianne Parsons.
 Judy Leslie.
 Emilie Belak.
 Susan Jensen.
 Vivien Kaputo.

 Valentine's Day I felt like I was getting a cold and flue so I didn't go to my guild meeting.  Later in the day I started feeling better and decided to add some borders to my Hoochy Heart swap quilt.  It now measures 43" x 52" and is ready to be sandwiched and quilted.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

You might not have been able to see the outside gardens, but the quilts are certainly a view of gardens to come in the spring. The borders are perfect for your quilt. It frames it so well.