Monday 20 March 2017

First Day of Spring! Happy Birthday Dad.

Happy First Day of Spring and my Dad's birthday.  Glad we didn't have any snow as we did several years ago.  In fact our Cherry Blossoms are quite behind with all the snow we had this year. We do have crocuses and snowdrops popping up along with the occasional Daffodil.

 I made this collage of my House Party Revival for Instagram the other day.  Have started some of the detail stitching for the blocks.
 First was the drizzle stitch and outline around the trees. This picture washed out the green and I used two different threads on the trees.  The red one has a darker variegated thread than the yellow ones.
 Next was an open Trellis stitch around the window and then I did a Palestrina knot instead of back stitch for the four quadrants of the window.

I also did the Palestrina knot around the edge of the roof.  I think I'll stitch around the chimney and will think if I'll add anything else to the block later.
 I also made a one hour basket to hold my stash of 2016 Row By Row fabrics out of the border print.
 Rather than using a fusible I outline machine quilted some of the details.  I used a King Tut Blue around the shape of the houses.
 Another King Tut Green for the grass and a Red for that narrow strip of red along the top.
Kelby Sews has a great tutorial and the basket pattern is a free one on Craftsy. Here is a link to the tutorial.

4 comments:

Kyle said...

It looks like you're having fun experiementing with lots of different embroidery stitches. They do add a lot of texture and interest to the appliqués. It feel like spring here, but we could still get some major snowstorms. The trees are going to get totally confused.

WoolenSails said...

Love how all the houses look together and the stitch work, you did on them.
I noticed a patch of daffodils in the bushes, every year it keeps coming up, need to replant them so I can enjoy them.

Debbie

KaHolly said...

Your projects are always just sew much fun! XO

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love that basket--very clever!