Saturday 17 February 2018

Katie Pedersen Psychedelic Baby Workshop.

Thursday I along with several members of Fraser Valley Quilters' Guild and a few non members took part in a day long workshop with Katie Pedersen of Sew Katie Did blog. I've followed Katie's Blog and her Sew Katie Did Instagram account for quite some time.

 She brought along several different quilts built from the same block to share with us some different setting options.
 She laid out the steps of making a strata and then building the blocks for whatever layout you wanted to work with.
 On the right is one of the building blocks and on the right are the cut offs from the block.
 Then we got to play with our strips to decide on our strata.
 I was considering using the grey to frame mine on either side.
 I played around with different ideas.
 At our guild meeting on Tuesday her show and tell was amazing.  I really liked this particular layout but I failed to get a good picture of it at the workshop.
 A few detail pictures to see how she built her borders.
 Love that soft turquoise solid for a different look to the quilt.
 The dense grid quilting really made a nice finish to the quilt.
 Beckie's first block is above her head and Nancy's is the blue and green.  Cathy is working with the purple, green and black to the left.
 I'm not sure who was working on these blocks.
 Some more blocks being built.
 There were several design walls up around the walls for people to lay out their ideas.
 Dougal was lucky to have a big table to herself and laid out her rainbow strips.
 Katie also shared some ideas for your cast off blocks once you finished your quilt.
 Each of these were from different strata groups and subsequent quilts.
 She built this one in panels.  If you want to see more she has several tutorials here to spark your imagination and creativity.
 Here is the whole quilt, I love this black and grey combination.
 Playtime with the blocks.
Rita decided to make a smaller block so she could finish it as a table topper this weekend.  One of my favourite mixes black and white with turquoise.  She threw in a grey tone on tone and reversed it for a lighter look.  Love it!

 Its interesting how different colour combinations in solids can work together.                                   





Here is Beckie's centre along with some border ideas.


Cathy's centre coming together.


Nancy decided to throw in a few prints with her solids.



Here is Dougal's rainbow mix.


My first layout of my blocks in a slightly different idea that the square with a spool in the middle.

 Rotating everything one turn.
 Laying it out en pointe. Two of my blocks had pink ends and two had one pink and one turquoise end.  Here is the combined pink and turquoise centre.
 Here is the pink centre.  I like how the black frames the centre along with the pink, yellow and turquoise and then the random colours beyond.
Still more playtime to be spent before deciding what comes next.  If you get a chance to play with Katie I would advise you to take the opportunity and explore this Modern Style.

5 comments:

Sherrill said...

Oh my gosh, those are all so cute!! I'm sure that was a very fun and freeing workshop!!

WoolenSails said...

That is a fun workshop and fun ways to build a quilt.
I like the one with the miss matched center, second to last photo, it's pleasing to my eye, the last is too perfect with matching colors.

Debbie

Kyle said...

What an awesome inspirational class. It would have been fun to explore the variations and creative ideas.

Sharon said...

I love Katie and her designs. I've seen her speak twice now, but haven't had the opportunity to take a workshop from her. This looks a lot of fun, and I love all the examples you've shown. It will be fun to see what you decide to do as you continue with this. Are there any wrong answers?? ;)

The little book of Nessie said...

Great to learn different techniques and using all sorts of colour combinations, thanks for sharing. Regards, Nessie