Sunday 11 February 2018

Lion's Bay Day Retreat/

Saturday morning I picked up Rita and we drove 45 minutes to Lion's Bay to attend Quilt By the Bay in Lion's Bay hosted by Krista Hennebury aka Poppyprint. We gathered in the Village Hall.
This lovely wood carving greeted us as we unpacked our cars.

                                   
Across the street is the view of the bay and mountains beyond.

                                   
 Adjacent to the building is this roaring creek you can see there was fresh snow on the mountains on Friday.

 Peeking thru the trees at the snow capped mountains.
 It was hovering around freezing most of the day.
 Arbutus trees are found close to water and this bench had some lovely paintings on it.
 Little did I know how important this bench would be later.
 The gulf island were taking on a hazy romantic tone.
                            
Coming back into the room almost everyone had arrived and were setting up, visiting or even sewing already.
 This was my view for the day to the right.
 And the left, glorious sunshine streaming into the room.  My goal was to machine quilt one or optimistically two quilts.
 You can see a ferry in the centre of this picture heading either up to the Sunshine Coast, Gulf Islands or maybe to Vancouver Island.  The Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal is about 20 minutes south.  North are Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains.
 Krista provided us with sandwiches from a local deli and mad two lovely lasagnas along with fruit, cookies, brownies, coffee and tea.  Waiting at each station was this lovely little goodie bag.
 I'm happy to say that my Running Through the Tulips and  Going Down the Rabbit Hole was well received during show and tell.  Remember the bench?  Two lovely tall ladies climbed up on top and held the quilt so I could get an official photo for Sarah Fielke's online quilt show for later this month!
 Sadly I ran out of the bobbin thread I was using for my quilting, fortunately I have more at home and will share a picture when it was done.  We packed up a bit early and trekked back home after a wonderful day of friendship, quilting and food.  Thanks Krista!  I can't believe I didn't take a picture of each and everyone who attended.  But priorities were quilting!




4 comments:

Kyle said...

What a beautiful spot for a quilting retreat. Glad you were finally able to get a full photo of your quilt, Looks like you had a great time.

Susan said...

What a great day that sounds! Thank you for the gorgeous pictures. I don't know how you got so much done in those surroundings. I look forward to seeing the finish on your quilting.

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful place for a retreat, gorgeous views.
I really love your quilt, it is amazing all the work you have put into it and I really love the color combinations.


Debbie

The little book of Nessie said...

Lovely quilt Sandi. Nice surroundings for a retreat. Regards, Nessie