Wednesday 20 November 2019

Catching Up...June and July 2019.

In June I made the trek over to Spokane to go to the Farm Chicks Sale and then workshop with Mary Lou Weidman.  I love turquoise and this car filled with flowers at the entrance looked amazing.
 I was so tempted to buy this bird cage but decided it was a bit too much.
 Mary Lou has such whimsical signs and other imagination stimulating things in her home and garden.
 We all went out for lunch at the Coeur d'Alene hotel which is always a fun adventure and went to Bear Paw Quilting.

 This is my friend Janet, she grew up on a turkey farm and is doing this story quilt to depict her childhood there and other life adventures.
 Just outside of Bellevue Washington a semi truck decided to come into my lane.  Fortunately due to a previous accident we were moving very slowly and other than damage to my car and a bit of a scrap on his semi no one was injured.  The other good thing was he was also a B.C. driver so it didn't have to be an international file.
 Maybe I should have made my bird cage turquoise?  I decided to make this border look like trees, I've got enough for the bottom and just have to figure out the corners, but I think I know what to do with it.
 I also decided to add some kelp/seaweed to my fish quilt.  Have a few more ideas to add to some empty spaces.
 Love this border that's coming together.
 Doing some work stitching down the kelp.
 I also did a bit of stitching on my wool seahorse while away.
 And my Orca.
 Next in July I headed south to Sisters for their Outdoor Quilt Show.  Love this row by row Taste block by Fiddlesticks Quilt shop in Vancouver Washington.
 Check out that curve in the road coming up as I drove the old MacKenzie Highway.
 In Eugene I got their row by row at Pieces quilt shop.
 I also spotted this bee table runner but couldn't find a pattern for it.  Why?
 Because this was the actual pattern, and the flip size had the bee as an freebie when you bought the pattern!
 At the Sisters quilt shop I found this adorable gnome couple that my friend Robin sewed as a sample for the shop.
 The post card silent auction had Anna's bee hive piece.
 Sue Spargo's pot of flowers.
 This was the row from As the Crow Flies.
 I went out to Merrill and La Pine but something happened to my memory card and I had no photos.  Thanks to the staff at Best Buy they cleaned out the memory card slot and I was good to go for the quilt show day.
 My friend Lori made me this wonderful project pouch and needle case.  Perfect for my cross stitch that I'm getting back into.
 Friday night was an entertaining evening by Frieda Anderson and Laura Wasilowski which was a slide show of their creative history together.
 Anna and the twisted sisters do an ugly challenge each year and here they are revealing what they made.  Anna remembered just days before the reveal!
 I asked these four lovely ladies if I could take their picture.  It was the gal the second from the right first time coming.  Turns out her mom was Sue Garman a very prolific quilter.
 Firefighters putting up the quilts on the Stitchin' Post.
 The Twisted Sisters were featured quilters at the show this year.  Their husbands all came down to see the wives displays.  The guys even bought matching t-shirts for the event.
 Kathy Diggendorfer had an open studio to visit.

 Love this mural on the side of one of the buildings.
 All the quilts were up and the firetruck moved off.
 The Cherrywood Challenge was Prince this year.  It was very busy getting around to see the display.
 Self portraits to celebrate Freddy.
 She and another teacher stepped in when Rosalie Dace a South African teacher was denied entry to the US.  Apparently they changed the visa requirements from one visit to another.
 Freddy was chatting with a fan of hers.
 Prince made his appearance.
 Anna with her friends who own Fika Coffee. 
 Kathy Diggendorfer's car.
 Are these not too cute!
 Look what the original shape held!
 Outside were several vintage trailers.  Some airstream and other designs but the Shasta ones were my favourites.
 Many had open doors that you could peek into.
 This gal was ready for her own quilt show.
 Ironing board.
 Inside.
 Her bicycle powered sewing machine.
 from the other side.
 The iconic 3 Sisters view.
 I had to come home with this kit.
 Shasta trailers all over the place.
 The Sunday morning lecture was by Carolyn Friedlander.  She started out as an architect.
 After the lecture we went to Anna's for a bit of a break.  Some of her Bee Hive themed items.
 Love this one.
 The other side of the tablecloth.
 Cute soap dish pin cushion.  I have a similar soap dish I may have to design my own pin cushion for mine.
 Her Just Buzzin' by Jan Mott of Crane designs.
 Love this bee hive sampler.
 Then we went back and walked amongst the Pines and looked at Carolyn's quilts.
 She often does both hand and machine quilting on her pieces.
 She grew up on a farm in Florida.
 An overview of the quilts in the Pines.  If you ever go to Sisters make a point of trying to get to the lecture and walk.  They limit the ticket but you can walk along the trails after the tour is done.
 Such lovely colours.

 Anna surprised me with the needle wallet and pattern and some other lovely goodies.
 I made quick work of finding some of my own wool stash to get it together.
 Then I started to load it.
 Finally all loaded with extra needles and necessities.
 Folds up nicely.
 I still need to add the little wool pages for a pin keeper but keep forgetting to do it.
Stay tuned for hopefully another post next week about the rest of the Summer and early Autumn adventures this year.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, that was quite a summer start! Those retreats you do with Mary Lou seem to come around faster and faster . . . for me, of course. For you, it probably seems like forever! I'm glad to see a post up again!

KaHolly said...

Whew! That was an exciting, but busy post! You live the dream!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Wow, lots of quilty fun (except the car accident) with friends!