Monday 5 March 2018

Simple Folk, Grasshopper, Mug Rugs, Wonky Stars...

Here was the lay out for my first Simple Folks block
 Block two was a pair of swans.
 Block three is this whimsical flower arrangement.
 My friend Anna and I were talking about applique prep and I said I used heat resistant Mylar and do a running stitch to gather up the edge.  I took these pictures with the Mylar removed to explain how I do it.  I cut a larger seam allowance and then do a running circle outside my pencil mark from tracing the circle.  Then I draw up the stitches around the Mylar and do a quick press.  I then use a paintbrush to apply the starch around the edge and iron it again.  Pop out the template and repeat the process.  I usually have several circles in play so the piece can cool down before I pop out the Mylar to save my finger tips.
 If I have only a few leaves I'll use freezer paper and run the basting stitch around the curve and place my fingernails against the paper to ease up the sides without curling the freezer paper before ironing and starching.
 For inner curves I clip and use a wooden tool to hold the fabric in place before adding starch and ironing but clip the curves a few times.
 Bottom gathered top eased in.
 About an inch or so before I start the basting.
 For this shape no stitches just use the wood tool to save my fingertips.

 Clip the notch of the heart with two basting lines for the curves.
 Nice smooth curves.
 Clip the notch and use the running thread to ease the bulk of the fabric.
 Smooth.
 Gentile curve no stitches, a notch and more gentle curves again.
 I'll trim that corner on the fabric and ease in the bulk.
 Swans stitched, those eyes were tiny and challenging but they are done.
 A closer look.

 Nice round circle.
 Pointy skinny heart.
 Love this fabric for the white swan.
 And this for the black swan.
  Pieced blocks for the Grasshopper prepped for hand stitching.
 I may mix and match my prints once I sew my half triangle squares.
 Different scale of dots.
 I'm in love with grunge.
 Some mug rugs I'm working on.
 The pattern was in a magazine but I decided to add the second flower.
 I also decided to flip the image.
 My first stitched block.  Not sure if I'll do the turquoise corners.  Will stitch block three and then decide.
Got the last set of blocks from Illinois.  They took 6 weeks to arrive, I think they walked here.

 I love the stamps!

 They are both so wonderful.  Another thing to add to my list to do.  There are running a second wonky stars exchange but I decided not to do it as of right now...

5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Those are going to be beautiful, love your fabric choices.
Nice way to appliqué, but i am lazy, and that looks like more work to me, lol.
I guess that is why I stick to large, fat pieces;)

Debbie

Karen said...

I like blocks one and three very much. Such interesting fabrics.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

You have so many cool fabrics for your applique--very fun!

Radka said...

Thank you for sharing your "tricks of the trade" with us.
Your first block looks amazing, love it :-)
xx

KaHolly said...

I love the look of applique, but can’t get past that fussy prep work! Your fabrics are delicious!