Tuesday 29 May 2018

Basket Quilt Finished.

I finally got the binding on the wonky basket quilt last night and today I went down to my friend Rita's place to take some "Arty" photos.  Usually I just pin it up or have someone hold my quilt.
 Tried a couple of different places.
 Unfortunately it didn't like to be propped up against the rhododendrons, too much sun shade contrast.
 I did get the traditional, please hold my quilt up picture courtesy of Rita.
 Had fun with finding this backing.  I ended up using a variegated thread and straight line about an inch apart.
 Now for a few nature shots, some California poppies in front of my condo.
 Last week on the 21st I took this picture of an Allium just starting to open.
 A few days later,
 And yesterday, today it is at almost the same point.
 I found these fun fabrics last week, I wandered thru looking for a specific fabric in Fabricana which I didn't find.  I was taken by the yellow and pink woven Kaffe Fasset fabric, then I saw the yellow tone on tone, and finally the muli coloured stripe.  When I went back and pulled them all I was surprised how well they all play together.  No project in mind yet but something will bloom I'm sure.
 The same day I got this seagull batik and the fish bones at The Needle and I, I have something in mind for these two.
 My Friday quilting group was treated to high tea by Rita, we had an iced sandwich which was a loaf of white bread with crusts trimmed.  The cut horizontally with chicken salad, then egg salad and then tuna salad between the layers of bread.  It was stacked and then iced with a combination of cream cheese and a bit of cream to thin it.  Cut into vertical slices and served.

For dessert she made a pavlova which was cooked in a rectangular pan, sliced strawberries and whipped cream. 
 She was generous with our portions, we had three different teas to enjoy along with open face cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches.
 The peonies are in full bloom, her neighbour has tied them up so they don't fall over.
 I've taken 15 photos of peonies in the past week and at least 8 of them have an ant in the picture!
 Love this pink/white one.
 Single white with an amazing centre.
 A dark pink/red one with some extra petals in the centre.
 This ones are sort of fringed petals.
 White with a touch of pink.
 White poppies behind a purple flower.
 Refocusing to get the poppies in focus.  They are called Danish White Cross Poppies.
 Orange Oriental poppies.
 These have a heavier, sturdy stem.
 Allium starting to loose petals and enter the drying seed head stage.
 Bearded Iris along the quay.
 Today the Orange Poppies are a bit more open.
 They have very large seed heads.
 More buds waiting to open.
Still waiting on the city to turn over our public gardens, thankfully it appears the threat of flooding on the lower Fraser is unlikely.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Your basket quilt is beautiful. That first photo of the poppies would make a wonderful quilt. Hugs

Anna said...

what a wonderful day with friends! I am enjoying the flowers in bloom around here and Allium is one of my favorites :) Your quilt is wonderful and I love the choice of quilting. Another one completed...gotta feel good!

Radka said...

Your basket quilt is so lovely! Beautiful colours.
And lots nice flower pictures too :-)
xx

The little book of Nessie said...

The basket quilt is lovely and bright. Your pictures of the spring flowers are beautiful. It is always great finding some more fabric for another project! Regards, Nessie

WoolenSails said...

I love your basket quilt, that is so beautiful and such a happy piece.

Debbie

Sue McQ said...

What a perfect setting for your beautiful basket quilt! All those flowers are works of art in themselves.