Tuesday 22 May 2018

High Water, Victoria Day Weekend.

On May 15th during my walk along the Quay I saw several signs set up warning people about the high river flow happening along the Fraser.  Higher up several communities have had some major flooding.  At least twice while I've been living here we have had massive sandbags appear but so far they have not arrived on the scene.

But I did spot a couple of sea lions feeding on some fish.  You may be able to see their ears if you click on the pictures.  Seals do not have ears Sea Lions do.
 When I first moved here I could often hear them having late night conversations with each other often in May.
 In preparation for the Victoria Day weekend there were hanging baskets placed below the support poles along the quay.
 Two for each support pole.
 The tulips usually are being pulled up and replanting happening.  I'm guessing they will wait until the threat of flooding has passed.
 I went to the local fabric store and found these mats and one of the cutters.  I already had a turquoise one but needed the pink one.
 I made the large and small Bionic Gear Bags in 2015.  Love my Gingher snips on the turquoise polka dot ribbon.
 I also found the latest Spring/Summer Quilt Sampler.  I think I have every issue.
 In almost every issue I've been to one or two of the shops.  Quiltworks in Bend is a lovely shop.
 Marilyn is a lovely helpful store owner.  I love the quilt shows she has in her upper gallery each month.
 Victoria Day Monday May 21 I went to walk along the boardwalk and as you can see it was blocked at each access from the brick walkway.
 Notice the darer mark on the support pilings?  The high tide was on the wan!  Despite the warnings I saw several people walking with friends or their dogs along the boardwalk.  Love the crow photo bombing the picture!
I also saw this huge log boom negotiating the bend of the river.  There was another tug to the right out of range of the camera towing, with these two helping ease around the bend.
 And a fourth one bringing up the rear!
 I missed the first bloom of peonies and the next are just starting to open, but caught this beauty.
 On the table I found this lovely Gerbera Daisy, I don't think I've every noticed one with the extra petals coming out of the centre.
 It was busy at Angelina's and I waited almost half an hour for a table with lots of others waiting behind.  The great news is that Eric is expanding the restaurant and hopefully the grill also.
 Spotted this pretty Iris in Rita's garden.
 These Snapdragons have a gorgeous colour to them.
 This poppy is starting to drop it's petals.
 I love the seed heads when the petals have dropped.
 This one is a fairly new bloom.
 One of her Allium breaking bud.
 Even a few buttercups.
 Queen Anne's Lace.
 I don't think I've ever seen so little of the diversion above water.  This was about an hour after high tide.  See some of the large logs floating past it.
 The hanging baskets are up and by summer's end will be huge.  New Westminster is known for it's hanging baskets around the main streets and along the quay.
 A slightly different angle where you can see a couple of huge tree trunks and their root balls have hung up on the diversion.  The river splits into the North and South arms at this point.
 One of the palms along the quay.
 Before I can stitch down that large yellow flower on the right I need to add my corner triangles.  I've added the centre flash with a heart in the centre of it.  I'm loving the Simple Folk Pennsylvania Dutch influences that Sarah has done.
 My two headed birds are pinned here but have been stitched down except for the hearts, eyes and centre dot. I still need to do the Grasshopper BOM.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

So many wonderful photos to look at. You live in an area where everything just loves to happily grow.

WoolenSails said...

I would definitely not go in any areas where the water is up to the docks, especially if one of those logs comes flying into one.
Your blocks are coming out beautifully, love the bright colors.

Debbie

Anna said...

Beautiful stitching and beautiful life on the Quay 💕