Wednesday 6 June 2018

Portraits at Quilt Canada 2018.

I enjoy seeing what people can do to recreate portraits in cloth.  It can be very challenging to get it right I find and there were some wonderful quilts showing different ways at Quilt Canada this year.
 Fates of Maasai Men Triptych by Krista Zeghers was a wonderful example.  She showed a young warrior.
 One Middle aged
 And one elderly.  I had an opportunity to visit The Mayer's Ranch in Kenya in the 1970's which allowed tourists to visit and interact with some of the local Maasai and take photographs of their homes and themselves. My photographs show some similarities but also some differences in their dress.  The young warriors had long extensions, the middle aged men had shorter hair along with the young boys.  My pictures are on slides but I will try and share them with you later.  The other difference was their clothing was predominately red with no designs.

 Ruby by Roxanne Nelson.

 Irene by Linda Tolsma.

 Izzy by Anne Mathers, sorry about the fuzzy detail of the quilter.

 Making Amends by Carol Cote.
 Carol happened to be near her piece when I saw it, and she shared details of how she quilted it.


 Japanese Beautiful "Maiko" by Naoko Hirano.
 


 Rod Stewart by Jean Allenbury.

 Flying Free by Effie Brandt.

 Remember Felicity Ronaghan?  Here is her Trend Tex Challenge piece.
 And here is her daughter G's Cantik Batik Youth Challenge 5-10 year old piece! Congratulations to the next generation of quilters Felicity and G!
 Here are some of the other 5-10 year old Travel Challenge pieces.
 There was also one for older children but I didn't get pictures of theirs.


More to come...

2 comments:

WoolenSails said...

The quilts are amazing, such beautiful detail and quilting.
I made one and never finished it, another to do on my list.

Debbie

Sue McQ said...

Phenominal artisis. I am in awe. Blessings.