Friday 31 October 2008

Happy Halloween! This is one of my favourite holidays of the year.... I spotted this pattern on a driving holiday in California, but it took me several quilt shops before I could find a shop with a copy to sell. I had lots of fun finding the different browns for the picket fence, the tops are 3-D. I embellished with some fun buttons. The spider in the corner is a removable pin and the cats have green bead eyes. I reversed the moon, changed the bottom of the ghost. The cat tails are also 3-D, this was one of my first pieces I tried to machine quilt.
My friend Ethel Snow designed the pumpkin quilts, I decided to have some fun and make each of the four sides a different fabric. The dancing witches have candy buttons as a treat. The pumpkin stems are 3-D.
This was the first of 4 block exchange quilts I did with friends. You each made one 12" block or equivalent and 4-4" blocks. There were 5 of us in the group. I utility quilted this with Perle cotton in 2000 while recovering from heel surgery. I added additional blocks to make it a large twin size.
This is a fun quick quilt that I made with fused leaves that are also button hole stitched.
One of my friend's adores Halloween, her birthday is in September and I designed the cat and pumpkin applique for her. She got the table runner top as a gift and then quilted it for herself.
This is the same basic table runner but with the pumpkin pattern that was part of it.
I call this wall hanging "Where's Jack?" I had fun adapting the pattern to paper foundation piecing. I didn't have enough of the pumpkin print to go around the corners, so I used a orange and black polka dot print...bet you didn't notice it at first! I designed a sunflower quilting design for the two sides, leaf vine for the bottom. Then on the top left you will see a crescent moon and star and bats flying across the top.
I call this quilt "October Weekend with Jane Sassaman." I took a weekend class in October with her. It is raw edged but finished with satin stitch applique. The piece is about 11" x 18."

1 comment:

The little book of Nessie said...

Sandi, I have just scrolled down to see all the wonderful quilts. Nice autumn colours. Thanks for showing them. Regards, Nessie