Thursday 28 September 2017

Staying Focused on Down The Rabbit Hole

I've been working on my applique for Down the Rabbit Hole when I realized I cut my wedge borders too small.  I've since reverse sewed them and sewed them on the correct length.  Then I laid everything out so I would have all the sunflowers in the correct border corner.

First I sewed my first mitred corners in I don't know how long.  You might be able to see on the vertical borders a small pink crescent moon on the left and right side.  The top and bottom don't have them due to the repeat on the fabric.
Well as we know well mistakes happen and I sewed the small corner sunflowers incorrectly and had to do some reverse sewing again.
Here they are in the proper orientation.  I only had one in the correct layout, the rabbits on the lower left corner.
 Here is the correct mock up before I started sewing the corner blocks on.  I'll sew that second narrow mitred corner on just before I sew on the borders with the large sunflowers.  Then I will applique the large leaves onto that border and I'll be ready for the elongated hexagons which was this month's task.
 Autumn arrived last Friday.
 Remember this envelop my cousin sent to me in 1977?
 Guess what appeared in my mailbox today?  Love how in 2017 we have Captain Picard and Star Trek for stamps.
 Back in 1977 we have provincial flowers, the Group of Seven and the Queen!
 It was a 3 page letter she wrote to me in May 1977.  She had received two postcards from me and felt guilty she hadn't written me.  She had gone to Europe I think it was a year or two earlier than me and compared notes about Italian men amongst other adventures and tales of family life.
She and I both moved around in our twenties.  Carol and her husband sold their house of 25-30 years last year and found this and some other cherished mementos.  Fun to look back on our task.

Off to start my next round of applique.

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love how your quilt is coming together, beautiful with all the fabrics you used.
That is fun to find an old letter and the memories.

Debbie

The little book of Nessie said...

Your project looks fantastic Sandi. Glad you received your letter after such a long time. Regards, Nessie

Susan said...

That's a great Picard stamp! We have Star Trek stamps this year, too, but it is uniforms and emblems, I think. There were 4 rotating in order on the sheet. How fun to read that letter after so much time has gone by. Wow, I'm not going to mention how many, but does it seem possible? I like the Rabbit Hole you are staying down, so to speak. =) I saw someone else's the other day, and they were just sewing the leaves on, so you aren't really behind.