Saturday 14 May 2016

Gwennie Inspired Medallion Quilt

I love tulips and have always wanted to make a basket quilt so when I saw a post on Lori's Humble Quilts I decided to draft an idea.  Here is her post about the project.
 I then enlarged it and darkened the faint pencil lines.
 I made some applique templates and chose my fabrics and them interviewed two backgrounds.
 Both have lovely script on them.  I decided to use the wrong side of the basket fabric to show the inside of it.
 Then I laid out my pieces to approximate the finished block size of 16" to see how long to make the bias stems.

Then I tucked a possible fabric for the handle.
 I decided to use the darker background and started stitching.
 Friday evening I had finished the block.  I realize I didn't make the lone dropped petal.  I'm still thinking of adding it or may add several more.  I can't wait to see what is suggested for the next border.
Thanks Lori for pushing me to go ahead with this idea.  I love my Windblown Tulips in a Basket.

8 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That is really beautiful, love your color choices.

Debbie

Susan said...

Really pretty block! Thanks for showing your process. I always love to see the stages of decision making.

The little book of Nessie said...

Tulips are lovely. Thanks for showing your process of creating a lovely basket block. Regards, Nessie

Sue McQ said...

What a lovely design! Looking forward to your progress. Blessings.

KaHolly said...

Yes, yes! It's gorgeous! I absolutely adore your fabric choices. You have 'the gift'! XO

Béa said...

Very beautiful block, thanks for showing your process.

Monica said...

Yes, it's really pretty, Sandi, and I like the minimalist ones too. It's interesting that so many people are making two versions! There's a really high level of creativity floating around in this challenge. Beautiful job!

Glenda said...

Thanks for a greAt tutorial, really enjoyed it, if I had time I would make this lovely basket arrangement. Love the basket and I've all ways loved tulips nd your block is just lovely. cheers Glenda