Sunday 12 February 2017

Quilt Show Challenge Texture at Quilters' Dream Fabrics.



Saturday morning Rita and I headed off to the west side of Vancouver to see the quilts for the Texture Challenge at Lorna's shop Quilters' Dream Fabrics.  She had some of the quilts hanging in the foyer and also in her living room.

Each kit contained different fabrics which you had to use some of each and could add some of your own.  It was not revealed who made which piece but I did hear some offering of voting for yours if you vote for mine.

I don't know who did what but had a couple of friend's who entered.  Some made original quilts and others adapted or used patterns.
 Some had a lot of texture and some I didn't really see the texture.
 There were a lot of rusts, reds and greys in the kits.
 The gal who made the triangle piece printed off different ways the triangles could be placed for different shapes.
 Love the round clips hanging this quilt on the piece of bamboo.
 Quilts were draped over sofas and love-seats as Lorna ran out of wall space.
 This one reminded several people of umbrellas viewed from the top.
 Some appliqued trompe d'oiel on this one.
 Squares on a low volume background.
 Some silks along with batiks.
 Of 19 kits 14 were returned, quite a nice level of participation.  Then up the stairs to Lorna's shop area.  She also had some goodies laid out on her dining room table and side tables but the room was too crowded to get pictures.
 Notice all the rolls of obi silks on the three top shelves on the left.  She also has Dupioni Silks and woven Japanese Diamond Textiles in this room.
 Another view of the textiles on the right.
 Reversing my position in the same room.  Those fabrics below the cutting table are Diamond woven textiles.
 One of many quilts that Lorna has designed.
 When I dropped of my challenge quilt last week she showed me the quilt she had made that inspired the Texture challenge.  It is Latiffah Saffir's Mole Hill templates that she used to make this beauty.
 Look at the amazing quilting and how the blue silk has a crinkled texture to it.
 It is amazing to see in person.
 On the top landing some rainbow brights and a lot of notions for sale.
 Into another room where Batiks are featured.
 Hard to choose which ones to bring home.
 She also has some Japanese prints and some of Pepper Cory's Shot cottons.
 So many choices what to buy.
 She uses her space very well to display the wares.
 Afterwards Rita and I headed down to Granville Island to visit the Cloth Shop and pick up bagels.  Then we went to the Dockside Restaurant to celebrate our birthdays.  We are both Aquarian and are ten days apart.  Looking across False Creek we can see the Tent set up for Cirque de Soliel.
 By the end of lunch the skies were brightening up and so was the waterway.  The Rainbow Aquabus ferries were seen in full force along with paddle boarders, kayakers and even some with outriggers.  Not to mention a few sail and motor boats.
 I bought the centre aqua and right pink last week and added the multi pink Obi silk yesterday.
 A closer look at the pink
 Aqua
 Multi, all have some amazing visual texture to them.
 I also got two Dupioni silks the one on the left is a soft aqua with a pink hue the other is a soft sapphire blue.
Two blue shot cottons.

 A pink shot cotton from last week.
 Two blue Diamond woven textiles that look grey but are blue.
 A cream one.
 After dropping Rita off I went to Fabricana and found these pink fat eighths that I think I may use in my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt.
 And these blue ones.
 At the Cloth Shop I found these fat quarter bundles on sale for $10.00 they may find their way into Down the Rabbit Hole also.
 Love that green one, I think I already have another piece of it.
 If you are interested here is the link to Lorna's Blog if you enter your e-mail address you will get updates sent to you directly.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, it is Family Day in B.C. tomorrow and today I'm taking my mom to a quilt display at Van Dusen Gardens so I'll share more pictures soon.


3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I truthfully think you should win, love the design and the use of texture for the challenge;)
Diamond textures are my favorites, have a few and plan on making a quilt with them.

Debbie

The little book of Nessie said...

Nice to see all the quilt entries for the challenge. Lovely fabrics too. Regards, Nessie

Anonymous said...

All your designs look simple and beautiful:)