Saturday 14 May 2011

Mary Lou Weidman Hoochy Mama Bird Swap

Mary Lou Weidman is one of my favourite quilt teachers.  I've taken a couple of classes from her and attended her retreat in Post Falls Idaho.  This Spring she issued our online group a challenge to make some hoochy mama birds.  The bird below a yellow breasted starling was the inspiration for my block.
 We had to use black as a background, so having a black tailed bird was out of the question, but I think I found the right fabric to create the illusion of my bird's wonderful tail.  All together I made 14 blocks, 13 for the exchange.  I was tempted to just sew them all together when I had them finished.
 Some of my birds look like they are perched looking up or to the side.  I haven't added the white buttons with black pupils for they eyes.
 These ones to me look like they are flying either to the left or the right.
I can hardly wait until I get the ones from the other people in the group and then put them all together.  We were encouraged to use jello colours, stay tuned for the new flock when it arrives home.  Mine are flying to California to meet up with friends.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sandi, those are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! Ooooh, can't wait!

The little book of Nessie said...

Lovely birds Sandi. Well done! Regards, Nessie

Maree in NC :-) said...

Sandi, your birds are incredible! Way to go! :-) Can't wait to see what you do with all of the flock.

I'm sooooooo sad that I just couldn't sign up for this swap. Life does sometimes get in the way.