Wednesday 16 December 2015

Snow Fun to Meet You...Bundle Up!

 As I was already working on two other snow related quilts I decided to print it off and make one also.  But I wanted to change it up a bit.  First I made my snowflake and mittens blocks a bit bigger.  I also changed the shape of the snowflakes a bit, angling the cuts for a bit of interest.
 I also felt it needed a few more words and no sashing.  So I used the exiting letters to make Winter's here and add it to the bottom.
 Then I decided to make it into a lap quilt rather than just a wall hanging so I designed this winsome guys.  Their mouths were stitched without any guides, I just stitched their quirky smiles.
 Next I decided on the final borders.  At first I was going to add some more snowflakes and perhaps a few trees.  In the end I decided less was more.
 Sew I sew it up as a top today.  But something was bugging me...my Winter's here wasn't as visible as I would like...
 So I unpicked the medium aqua thread and decided to use a very pale aqua/white thread instead.
 Liking the look of the finished W; I reverse stitched the n, e, and s.
 It stands out a bit more but I didn't want to change the wool letters.
I have a part of a wool batt and now need to find a backing to suit this seasonal lap quilt. Here is the link from All People Quilt if you want to make the pattern or play around with it as I did.

3 comments:

paulette said...

Wow! This is awesome! I love how you changed it up!

Sheila said...

I like your version of this pattern , great job !

The little book of Nessie said...

The snowmen make a lovely addition to the quilt. Love the background fabric too! Regards, Nessie