Thursday 27 July 2017

The Road Home from Sisters.

I went back into Salem to check out The Cotton Patch as I saw it on the Row by Row Experience website and had not been there before and was in need of a driving break.
 It's set back from the road and shares a parking lot with a hardware store on the left.
 The store isn't hug but it has a nice selection of fabrics.
 They also have a good selection of gift items and inspiration around the shop.
 Their row is a vertical on and is meant to be a tree, but seeing it sideways makes me think of maple leaves floating down a stream and getting caught up on rocks.
 Love that over sized star block.
 Spools next to a wild life panel.
 I'm always a sucker for Scottie profiles.
 Re-purposing a plant hold for fabric display.
 The bigger picture. Here is a link to their website.
 Next stop was at Cool Cottons in Portland.  Anna recently did a Quilt Roadies video on this shop and I was curious to check it out.
 Love older homes with hardwood floor that become quilt shops.
 Great track lighting to show of the fabrics.
 Here is their modern domestic row of geese.  I've seen several variations for the On the Go theme using the flying gees block.
 Rich colours.
 Pinks and oranges.
 Mini bolts, contemplated buying one fabric and went back and someone else has picked it up.  Hoping she wouldn't buy the whole bolt I waited.  But she bought it all.  Lesson learned, pick it up and then decided.
 Black and whites with pops of colour.
 Their previous and current license plates.
 Cool greens and aquas. Here is a link to their website.
 Next stop was Modern Domestic in Portland.  I'd heard of this shop and decided to find it.
 Love the exposed ceiling with the ducts and lighting.
 Lots of colour, they also carry fabrics suitable for clothing.
 They offer long arm quilting.
 Lovely display area.
 What a cute On the Go row!
 I looked into the classroom and they had the younger generation doing a class.  I asked permission to take a picture and the teacher asked them to bow their heads so their identities were kept private.  So nice to see the future in sewing and quilting getting an early start. Here is a link to their website.
 Sunday after the lecture Robin packed up to go home and I stayed over until Monday morning.
 Robin, Anna and their friend Lori who was up in Alaska fishing were the recipients of my three baby Bionic Gear Bags.  Robin works in clay and made me a delightful ruler holder with the imprint of an owl that I have yet to take a picture of.
 I had posted some pictures on Instagram and Lori and Anna had both commented on them so I was happy they've gone to a good home.  Robin doesn't follow on Instagram.
 Each bag is different as these three often go on retreats and sewing adventures together.
 I've got to make my version in another zipper accent colour.
 I'm glad they are already being used.  Anna is camping and took hers along.
 Anna gifted me with these two zipper bags.
 Inside was a fabric rendition of the 2017 SOQS poster.
 Anna bought me a couple of treasures from her last road trip to Arizona.
 She got me the wooly block from Quilter's Quarters in Cottonwood Arizona.
 I've already cut out the block and getting ready to sew it.  Using my own stash for it.
 She also gave me their 2016 row.
 The Snow Covered Desert will join the Snowman from Pioneer Quilts.
 and the Winter Wonderland crow from Something To Crow About the and the 9th block.
 I also purchased Snow Bunny from Fiddlesticks.  All my wool blocks are prepped and ready to stitch.
I also got the latest Quilt Folk magazine in Bend when I went there.  They have both an American and Canadian dollar price but so far I've not found it locally.  I contacted the publisher and so far they haven't found a Canadian company to bring it it.  So my advise to my Canadian friends is to ask your local book store that carries magazines to ask for it and hopefully we can get it here.
 The most recent issue is on Hawaii.  You can get single issues from the website or a subscription. Here is a link to their website. You can get a subscription for $75 or you can buy individual issues also.
I also stopped in at Pacific Fabrics in SODO, aka Seattle to pick up one of their rows.  I had hoped to get home by 6 but it was 8 due to rediculous traffic all the way to the border out of Seattle.  But glad to be safe and sound.

7 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful shops on your trip and love your purchases, those will be fun to make up.

Debbie

Anna said...

WoW...This post had to be read with a nap in between!!! Jean Wells just told me about Modern Domestic! Next time I am in Portland I am going to go...you photos have given me a taste! I loved my little bag as it came in so handy. I added one of those magnetic needle holders to the inside flap so I won't lose another needle! Glad you go to Cool Cottons!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

It looks like you hit some fun shops! The bags and the fabrics you used are so cute--such nice gifts!

Kyle said...

Enjoyed your road trip and seeing the wide variety of shops. Isn't it amazing how diverse the quilting industry is.

KaHolly said...

So much Quilty goodness! I'm overwhelmed!

Susan said...

What a lovely trip! I've been to both of those Arizona shops many times and it was great to see they are still going strong. Quilters Quarters is where my husband bought my 2004 Christmas present - a beautiful and large hand quilting frame! Sadly it's in storage right now, but the day will come ... and it made him so happy to give it to me. =)

Sharon said...

Wow, you've been busy! You have given me a list of quilt shops to visit when I go visit my sister in Portland! They look like a lot of fun! And those RxRs look like they'll keep you busy for a while.

Love the bags you made, and what a sweet, thoughtful gift!